Here are some helpful TIPS for homeowners to help with the elimination of pests in and around the home through all of the four seasons.
In the Spring:
- Remove grass, weeds, and leaves from around the foundation that will provide harborage for different insects and rodents.
- Clean gutters and repair down spouts to reduce harborage and water sources for insects.
- Clean winter clothing before storing. Moths feed on clothing where perspiration has accumulated.
- Cut back trees and tree limbs that are within 6’ of the outside walls or roof. These can become “highways” for insects and rodents.
- When doing your spring cleaning, don’t neglect the attic, even if you do nothing more than move some storage around to see what is still there.
In the Summer:
- Keep all foods tightly covered, especially grains, sweets, and fats. Keep your kitchen as clean as possible, particularly in cabinets and around the stove.
- Store pet food in glass or metal jars and don’t leave pet food out between feedings.
- Inspect pets frequently for fleas and ticks. Change and wash pet bedding frequently.
- Use insect repellents on shoes, socks, and pants when you go outside.
In the Fall:
- Inspect your home’s exterior for entry points such as seal cracks, crevices, and holes in the foundation.
- Re-caulk windows where the seal is broken and check the weather stripping on all doors.
- Check all screens at windows and attic ventilation accesses.
- DO NOT store fire wood directly against the foundation wall. Find a location away from the home and provide clearance underneath to reduce insect and rodent harborage and provide drainage.
In the Winter:
- Do not store old newspapers, extra cardboard boxes or old grocery bags in the garage or basement as they offer excellent hiding places for mice, spiders and insects.
- On the interior, inspect for cracks, crevices, and openings around windows, doors, and baseboards that will provide excellent harborage and breeding areas for spiders and insects and rodent access!